Monday 13 January 2014

Paleo-AIP progress, four months on

Bacon wrapped apricots with sage
Back in September I started a pretty restrictive Paleo-AIP diet in the hopes to find some relief from several autoimmune diseases I suffer from. That meant I could no longer eat any grains (gluten or gluten-free), dairy, legumes, nightshades (tomato, potato, eggplant and peppers), eggs, seeds or nuts. In theory I should have also excluded alcohol, chocolate and coffee, but never did. (I'm a bit of a coffee drinking chocolate indulged wino it seems)

The main concern I heard from friends and family was that I would lose too much weight on the new diet. I'm thin as it is and have, when I've been unwell, come to look quite sickly when I lose a kilo or two.  They were worried that by excluding carbohydrates from my diet (something that happens quite naturally when you remove grain) that I wouldn't have any energy and would not maintain any fats.  I do have to admit that I have lost a few kilos since starting the diet, but my energy levels are an all-time high (just have a look at my other posts!) and even though I weigh a bit less I'm not looking sickly because of it. It's as if my body has found its ideal state.  I am also careful to make sure I'm eating enough healthy fruit and vegetables so I can maintain some kind of carbohydrate intake as well as fibre.
SCD & Paleo Vanilla Granola
Four months on and I'm still very very happy with the changes I've seen in my health.  I have more energy and less pain and swelling. I'm sticking to it!

I did fall off the waggon a few times, only to be reminded by my body, quite aggressively, that this diet is the best thing for me right now.

At Halloween I ate a load of Sera's candies and ended up with the worst pre-period acne I've had in years. That month the amount of refined, processed sugar I had consumed really messed with my hormone levels and triggered a big PCOS flare up. No more candies for me!

Then a few weeks back I made a spinach sformatino (eggs in the oven essentially) and ended up with terrible terrible stomach cramps from the cheese I added. Since I had experimented with hard cheeses and didn't have adverse reactions I decided to try out softer cheeses and it was a fail.

BLT Zucchini 'Pasta'
I'm still playing around with figuring out what I can and can't eat without getting sick.  This morning I had yogurt and haven't felt unwell but will have to wait to see if it triggers inflammation in my joints in the next few days.  It's a super-interesting process and I'm pleased to say I've reintroduced eggs and nuts without much trouble.

I've been cooking loads as well and would love to direct you to some of the best recipes I've been using over the past 4 months and some I've just discovered!

-Cauliflower Fried Rice from Mickey Prescott's cookbook Autoimmune-Paleo
I eat this at least 5 times a week. I like this version because of the turmeric and ginger but you can search for other versions on line. There are loads of options!

-SCD & Paleo Vanilla Granola from Danielle Against All Grain
I've only just recently whipped up my first batch of this stuff but breakfast tomorrow is going to be heavenly! Yum!

-Taco Lettuce Boats

-BLT Zucchini pasta from Ali at Inspiralized
This stuff is heaven sent and really sticks to your insides... I just leave out the tomato!

-Bacon wrapped apricots with sage
These are lovely appetisers for a party! You can do the same thing with prunes or perhaps figs wrapped with prosciutto!

-Lebanese Kebabs from A Clean Plate
Yum yummy Yum!

Since starting this foodventure I've been lucky to find how many foods I enjoy that I'd never even tasted in the past!  I can't believe I went 34 years without discovering pomegranate! I'm now in love with the fruit and eating it 3 times a week (while it's in season). 

I have a lot to be thankful to this diet for. If you're reading this and you also suffer from any sort of an autoimmune disease I suggest you run out right now and try it!  Oh, and get well soon!
♥ Jess



---
Liking buonaserababy?  I'd love to hear from you! Now you can follow in so many ways!

No comments :

Post a Comment